The Division of Energy, Housing and Community Resources (DEHCR) supports fair housing practices by contracting with an outside agency to provide fair housing services statewide. It is illegal to discriminate against persons in housing based on race, color, sex, national origin, religion, disability, or family status according to both state and federal law. In Wisconsin, it is also illegal to discriminate based on ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, or lawful source of income for housing. Some local fair housing laws may include additional areas of discrimination.
The Department of Administration publishes a Request for Bid every three years for agencies with the capacity to provide fair housing counseling and enforcement services statewide. To be eligible for the fair housing contract, agencies must have the following:
- Experience in complaint investigations and follow-up on fair housing issues
- Experience in training and outreach on fair housing issues
- Have two physical office locations throughout the state of Wisconsin
- At least one office must be located in a non-HUD entitlement area
- At least one office must be staffed a minimum of forty hour per week, Monday through Friday
- Have a toll-free phone number and website available for Wisconsin residents to file complaints
The next Request for Bid will be available in spring 2025.
Fair Housing Contractor
For fair housing inquiries or complaints, please contact the current fair housing contract agency, Metropolitan Milwaukee Fair Housing Council at (877) 647-3247 or (414) 278-1240. More information regarding Metropolitan Milwaukee Fair Housing Council is available at HOME | Fair Housing Council (fairhousingwisconsin.com).
Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development
Housing Discrimination Hotline
(800) 669-9777, TTY (800) 877-8339