CDBG - Revolving Loan Fund Program (RLF)

​​​​​​​​​​​Since 1982, over 270 communities in the State of Wisconsin have received Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding for housing rehabilitation and homebuyer assistance through the State CDBG Small Cities Housing Program. CDBG housing funds are loaned to low to moderate-income (LMI) households, and to local landlords in exchange for an agreement to rent to LMI tenants at an affordable rate. Once CDBG housing loans are repaid to the community, they are identified as CDBG Housing Revolving Loan Funds (RLFs).

Under the CDG housing RLF, homeowners in owner-occupied dwellings and homebuyers receive 0% interest loans that are either deferred or low monthly payments. Rental rehabilitation loans are 0% to 3% monthly installment loans.  Loans are due in full when the title changes, when the home ceases to be the homeowner’s primary residence or when the property is sold. CDBG housing funds can only be used for CDBG eligible activities.

​Eligible Activities

  • Home and rental repairs 

  • Plumbing

  • Electrical

  • Roofing

  • Siding

  • Flooring

  • Windows

  • Stairs

  • Foundation

  • Structural

  • Septic system repairs and replacements

  • Wells

  • Furnaces 

  • Hot water heaters

  • Down payment and closing cost assistance (Homebuyer Only)

  • Accessibility improvements for persons with disabilities​


To be eligible for a CDGB-RLF rehab loan you must be either an LMI household or a landlord who is rents to an LMI household. An LMI household is defined as a household with a pre-tax income that is at or below 80% of the county median income (CMI). LMI renters may also qualify to receive homebuyer assistance. 

​Application Information

For information and CDBG Housing program requirements in your community, contact your CDBG Housing representative:

HUD Entitlement Areas (CDBG) are cities with populations greater than 50,000 and counties with populations greater than 200,000 (Appleton, Beloit, Dane County*, Eau Claire, Fond du Lac, Green Bay, Janesville, Kenosha, La Crosse, Madison, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Neenah, Oshkosh, Racine, Sheboygan, Superior, Waukesha County**, Wausau, Wauwatosa and West Allis). HUD Entitlement Area residents should contact their​ CDBG entitlement-area housing representative​ for housing assistance.

HUD Non-Entitlement Areas with CDBG housing funds are referred to as UGLG (Units of General Local Government). Residents of UGLGs should first contact their​ local CDBG RLF housing representative to inquire about RLF loans. If no local CDBG Housing representative exists, residents should contact the CDBG Housing Region Administrator for their​ CDBG Housing Region.

​CDBG Program Quick Links

Refer to the CDBG Resources and Trainings page for program quick links.